Mothering Your Daughter Through Menarche
Supporting, loving and empowering your daughter through puberty, during her first period and into a new life phase
Mothering Your Daughter Through Menarche
With Emily Stewart, founder of The Real Period Project
When you join this special course, created in collaboration with The Real Period Project, you'll explore how to nurture and nourish the girl* in your life to approach her puberty years and first period with curiosity, support and a readiness for the changes ahead.
Menarche is often defined as a girl’s first period, but we believe it is a sacred time of transition that spans a few years around this special event.
Mothering your daughter as she moves through all the ups and downs of puberty is an initiation for you too. It can be a lonely and bewildering experience. We want you to feel resourced for this journey so you can both support yourself and really be there for your girl.
* although we use the terms mother and daughter this course is intended for anyone who has experienced periods themselves and/or those who are parenting a child who will experience periods. See FAQs for more...
- You are the *mother/carer (or ally) of a girl/child who is approaching or experiencing puberty, and heading towards her first period
- You feel anxious about how best to support her through this sometimes tricky terrain
- You don’t know how or when to start talking about periods
- You know you had a difficult experience at menarche, and you don’t want your girl to go through the same challenges
- You are concerned about the negative messages girls often receive about their bodies and about periods, and want to create a safe and supportive home that helps her feel empowered and prepared for the changes ahead.
Join this course, and you join a circle of women who are changing the story for their girls – creating for them a lifetime of honouring and trusting their body and cycles.
On the course you will:
- Look at how your own menarche experience informs how you feel about your daughter’s, and how you can use all you’ve learned to help her with her journey
- Gain confidence in talking about puberty and periods with your daughter
- Learn practical ways to support and celebrate your girl as she goes through puberty
- Receive reassurance that your daughter’s experience does not have to be a repeat of yours, and you don’t have to do it all perfectly!
This is a self study course:
- Each week you will work through the teachings and exercises at your own pace
- You will have access to the call recordings from our most recent live round of the course
- You will be invited to join the course live, for free, every time we run it
- You will get access to our community space, hosted on Circle, where you can connect and be supported
Here's what you can look forward to when you join the Mothering Your Daughter Through Menarche course:
- Learn about the changes of puberty and how to know when to get ready for your girl starting her periods
- Explore how you can support your daughter in lots of different ways
- Start planning how you can celebrate when her first period finally comes
- Get support and encouragement from other mothers going through this journey with their own daughters - share experiences, learning and empathy – most of all, know you’re not alone!
- Change the story for your daughter – help her start the journey of getting to know her body as it matures in a close, connected and loving way.
Your menarche course includes:
- Beautiful Guided Visualisations to help you explore your own experience of menarche
- Engaging audios and videos, with personal stories, anecdotes, advice and guidance on how best to traverse this sometimes bumpy terrain
- Exercises and writing prompts to allow you to really explore and experience the material - and help bring the course 'alive' and into your everyday world
- Resource packs and tons of links to all our favourite and best sites, books, tools, and other places where you can go to find out even more!
- And when you join up, you get access to a private online community of like-minded women, looking to support their girls at this special transitional time.
When you buy this course 40% of the proceeds will go directly to The Real Period Project. They support young people, parents, teachers and youth workers to learn and talk about periods without embarrassment or shame and to recognise the menstrual cycle as a vital body system and ally.
"Working with Emily on my relationship to my own menstruation and later in helping prepare my daughter for her first period has been such an enriching experience. Emily has extensive knowledge, experience and empathy for working in this area; it was and continues to be such a nurturing and nourishing experience. I felt all experiences and views were welcome and sensitively held. My knowledge and own empathy for all menstruation journeys expanded, leaving me feeling much more connected and whole. Thank you Emily, the work you do is amazing and so needed for these times."
Emily is passionate about making the period conversation empowering and accessible. Co-director of The Real Period Project CIC and facilitator and trainer of A Celebration Day for Girls she is working on how best to deliver positive menstrual education in schools and beyond. She runs workshops for young people, mothers, fathers and teachers (see website for more details). Her dream is to see a world where the menstrual cycle is recognised as an ally and teacher, and talking about it with our girls is a normal part of life.